- The commander of the expedition Ferdinand Magellan did not survive the expedition. He was killed in the Philippines on 27th April 1521.
- The journey took three years and one month.
- Only 18 of 265 survived to complete the circumnavigation.
- Just one (Victoria) of five ships (Trinidad, San Antonio, Concepción, Victoria, and Santiago) returned.
- The expedition discovered the need for an international date line since there was a mismatch between the date of their ships log on their return and the date of those whose did not travel.
- Juan Sebastián Elcano was the commander who completed the circumnavigation.
- Elcano was awarded a coat of arms with the inscription Primus circumdedisti me (latin: “You went around me first”)
Replica of Victoria.